Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Printing Gelatine

I had a question about the printing, Gelatine is used in cooking to make Jelly and to set cheesecakes, it is a setting agent. You dissolve the powder which you can buy at the supermarket, in hot water and pour it into a flat shallow tray. when it is set you can turn it out on to a work area ....then the fun starts. You can paint on to it, or drip, slosh, flick your fabric paint or dye on to the gelatine. then you lay your fabric or paper on it and lift to reveal your print. From then on it is just trial and error to see what you can make. You can mask areas with objects and use a spray bottle to apply paint then print. Or drag objects through the paint to make patterns. Quite a cheap way to do mono prints...best part is you can wash them gently with cold water and reuse....if it gets damaged you can dissolve in the microwave and start again. If you would like more details I can email them, I have some references. have fun cheers sharon

2 comments:

  1. I had wondered about the gelatin printing when I read your last post, but got distracted by something and forgot to ask before I had to leave the house. I'm very familiar with gelatin in a food/cooking setting, but hadn't heard of using it for printing or painting/surface design. I think I'd like to try this out some time. How firm do you need the gelatin to be in order to use it? Or is that more of a try it out and find your preference kind of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shazz, very kind of you to do this x

    ReplyDelete

sunset

sunset
such a lovelly winters evening